Classes expected to continue following fatal shooting blocks away from campus

The Spectator
According to Erie County Coroner Lyell Cook, the body related to the reported homicide at 123 Water St. on Monday night was found near this dumpster behind the apartment building. The gunman is still at large and a victim has not been identified.
Gunman still at large

The Spectator

It has been confirmed that a victim died of gun shots wounds on Monday night, with the reported homicide taking place at 123 Water St., an apartment complex on the corner of Water Street and Normal Street., blocks away from Edinboro University's campus. According to a report out of, Erie County Coroner Lyell Cook described the victim as "a male in his 20s" and described finding the body "next to a car at the end of the lot, near a dumpster, behind the apartment building."

Classes are expected to continue on Tuesday, as Edinboro University sent out the following email to students at 12:03 a.m:

"Police authorities have assured the University that the campus community is not in imminent danger.
Campus police will remain on heightened alert through the night. We encourage members of the campus community to remain indoors until morning.
Classes are expected to be held on their normal schedule and University operations to continue as usual on Tuesday.
Watch email and e2campus alerts for updates."

Furthermore, Edinboro University President Julie Wollman delivered a message to students and members of the community on Tuesday morning. She stated, "Today, our University Police will remain on heightened alert, but local police who are investigating the crime believe there is no reason to curtail our normal activity. Classes and other University operations will continue as usual."

The gunman is still at large and no arrests have been made. The victim's name has also yet to be released.

For students, the series of events began around 7:07 p.m. Monday night, as the first of a string of emails went out from the Edinboro University email system, stating "Off-campus shooting in area of Water St. Active police investigation. Avoid area. Gunman still at large." Coroner Lyell Cook received the call of the gunshot wound around 6:40 p.m. At 7:42, a campus lockdown was initiated, "effective immediately." All campus buildings were locked down and doors were secured. Students were warned to "stay inside behind locked doors until otherwise notified." Over 2 hours later, police began escorting students from "non-residential buildings" to their dormitory halls. Students were to "remain in place" until escort arrived.

Once again, the gunman is still at large at this time. If you have any information, contact the police department, at (814) 732-2911.